By Eileen Saam, Children’s Librarian
Summer is almost here, and it’s time to get excited about this year’s kids summer reading program: Find Your Voice! The program kicks off on June 1 for kids ages 2-11 and continues through August 15.
We are thrilled about all of the opportunities that the summer reading program provides for kids and families.
Everyone is encouraged to read & all reading is good reading
Beanstack is back! Starting June 1, you can keep track of your summer reading on Beanstack. Get a bead or vinyl sticker for every hour, plus bonus beads every 5 hours.
You can read picture books, chapter books, graphic novels, biographies, ebooks, and magazines and even listen to audiobooks and podcasts—the possibilities are endless!
You can come into the library to browse our large collection of children’s books, such as:
- Picture books like The Boy With Flowers in His Hair by Jarvis,
- Audiobooks like Surely Surely Marisol Rainey by Erin Entrada Kelly,
- Playaways—which are great for road trips—like Never After: The Broken Mirror by Melissa de la Cruz, and
- Check out our recommended reading lists featuring titles vetted by Oak Park’s children’s librarians.
Explore your digital library
If you can’t come into the library, you can access the library from anywhere with your Oak Park library card and PIN!
The library’s largest and most popular collection of ebooks and audiobooks is an excellent source for fantastic reading this summer. Check out:
- Ebooks like Invisible by Christina Diaz Gonzalez or The First Cat in Space Ate Pizza by Mac Barnett,
- Digital audiobooks like A Song Called Home by Sarah Zarr, or
- Magazines like Highlights, High Five, or National Geographic Little Kids.
Flipster is a fantastic resource for magazines. Kids and families can access issues of Cricket and Parents magazines, as well as magazines covering topics such as cooking, fashion, travel, entertainment, news, politics, and plenty more!
Attend events all summer long
Register for one of the many programs that we will be having at the library this summer for kids:
- Wednesday, May 24: Tech Wednesday: 3D Design Series for Kids
- Saturdays, May 27-August 19: Cuenta Cuentos can Kathy/Spanish Storytime with Kathy
- Wednesday, June 28: Hip Hop Dance Class
- Thursday, July 27: Hip Hop: For the Love of Lyrics
Find your voice this summer
There are so many opportunities and we can’t wait to get started!
Eileen Saam is a children’s digital learning librarian who loves discovering new things, learning from others, and sharing with children the joy and wonder of books. One of her favorite things to do at the library is to help children, families, and teachers find books and digital resources that delight and inspire them.