Having trouble finding an item in our catalog? We can help! Get assistance with searching the catalog, request the item from a library outside of our consortium, or suggest that we add the item to our collection. Need help? Online help is always available or contact us now »
Item not in the catalog?
For items not currently available in the SWAN catalog, we can help Oak Park Public Library cardholders find the best way to fulfill their requests, including through interlibrary loan and purchase requests, using Clio, the library’s request system.
- Interlibrary loan requests: Requests will be fulfilled by a library outside of the library consortium.
- Purchase requests: Think Oak Park Public Library should own a copy of an item that’s not currently in the catalog? Let us know!
To access the library’s request system, first-time users must create an account using their library card and PIN. Have questions about Clio or need help getting started? Check out our FAQ section below, call us during open hours at 708.452.3455, or email us anytime at email@example.com.
Who can make a request?
Anyone who is a resident of Oak Park and has a valid library card.
What kinds of items can I request?
Most kinds of items, including books, CDs, DVDs, microfilm, and copies of articles. It can be difficult for us to fulfill interlibrary loan requests for books and genealogical materials, reference books, and textbooks.
Why don’t my requests display in my SWAN account?
The library’s request system, Clio, is separate from the SWAN catalog. Items you request and check out through interlibrary loan can be viewed in Clio.
Is there a fee to request or borrow?
Items borrowed from Illinois libraries are free. If your item is only available to be borrowed from out of state, there is a $5 fee paid at the library when your item has arrived. This fee is charged even if you do not pick up the item. The library absorbs the out-of-state supplying library’s expense up to $20. You are offered the option of obtaining items with higher fees on a cost-recovery basis.
When will items arrive?
Interlibrary loan: Items borrowed from Illinois libraries usually take two to three weeks to arrive, but this can vary due to availability. Out-of-state items vary depending on availability and where we request them from.
Purchase requests: Arrival time depends upon publication date and availability from our library distributors.
In both cases, we will contact you when your items arrive.
Where do I pick up items?
Interlibrary loan items will be held at the desk of the library location you chose for pickup. Purchased items will be waiting for you on the holds shelves.
How long can I keep items? Are there late fees?
- The length of loan periods, renewal options, overdue fines, and conditions for use are determined by the supplying libraries. Learn more in the Interlibrary Loan Policy »
- The libraries we get your items from will determine the due date. Due dates are written on the white band attached to your item.
- You may request renewals on your items. Before the item is due, log in to your Clio account and click “View My Requests.” Then click “Items Currently Checked Out.” When you click the “Request Renewal” box next to each item and “Send Renewal Requests,” we will ask the supplying library to authorize the renewal. We will then contact you with their response.
Where do I return items?
Interlibrary loan materials must be returned to the location where you picked them up. Items that we purchased based on your request can be returned to any library location.
What happens if I lose an item?
If you’ve lost your interlibrary loan item, please contact us. We’ll call the library we got your item from, and they’ll determine the replacement cost.