New! Locker pickup by request at the Main Library
You can now choose to pick up your holds via secure lockers at the Main Library. See details below, and learn more about picking up your holds and returning items.
Using indoor and outdoor lockers
For a convenient pickup and return option with no in-person contact, you can now choose to use lockers at the Main Library. When you place a hold in the catalog, you can select or change your pickup location to either “Oak Park Public Library Main Branch Outdoor Locker” or “Oak Park Public Library Main Branch Indoor Locker.” If you need help, please contact us.
The outdoor set of 35 lockers is located to the right of the main entrance. You can pick up and return items in the outside lockers anytime, even when the Main Library building is closed.
The indoor set of 17 is located in the lobby under the stairwell. You can pick and return items in the inside items only during Main Library open hours.
- When your holds are ready, you will get a code by email or text to unlock and retrieve your items.
- We will hold items in lockers for up to 7 days.
- You must select locker pickup each time you place a hold (it’s not a default pickup location).
- You can pick up anything in the lockers, including books, movies, and devices such as hotspots.
Picking up physical materials
- Holds pickup is available at all library locations. What to know before you go »
- How to place holds online: Search the catalog and get help to place holds »
Returning items: Inside all library locations, at external book drops
- Returns are for library items only. Looking to donate books? Here are some suggestions on who to contact »
- Cardholders are responsible for library items until they are checked in. If book drops are full, please do not leave items near, next to, or on top of book drops.
- At the Main Library, please return only books and DVDs through the automated return slots (on the building’s exterior and inside the lobby). For items like magazines and newspapers, kits that come in a backpack or bag, and tech devices, please give them to a staff person inside the library or set up locker return.
Village Parking Lot 55
Our outdoor automated return slot is located directly to the left of our new lockers. Interested in using a locker for materials pickup and return? Contact us.
In front of the building on Gunderson Avenue.
Just north of the building on Augusta Street.