Register now! Summer reading helps instill a lifelong love of learning and joy of reading. Through August 15, join us to read, express your creativity, and do lots of fun activities. You can choose to track progress in Beanstack or on paper sheets available at the library, via the Book Bike to earn beads and stickers all summer.
How does summer reading work?
Sign up anytime this summer to earn beads and stickers! Everyone everywhere is welcome to participate, so you can challenge your cousin in Kalamazoo or friend in Fargo to join in the fun.
- Keep track of your reading time and get a bead or vinyl sticker for every hour, plus bonus beads every 5 hours.
- Reading isn’t the only way to learn and have fun—we have a ton of activities to choose from to earn special beads, too.
- Make art, move your body, listen to music, explore the world, or do a little science!
Use Beanstack to sign up & track your reading & activities
Sign up and log reading and activities in the Beanstack app. Available for iOS and Android, the Beanstack Tracker app can be downloaded to any device, including an Oak Park public school device.
If your family would benefit from a paper version of the program, stop into any library branch to pick one up, or print one yourself at home:
Pick up prizes whenever you’re able to come into the library
Once you start earning prizes, stop into the library to pick them up when it’s convenient for you.
What can kids read, listen to, watch & do?
What can kids read?
- You can read whatever you like—chapter books, graphic novels, the newspaper, ebooks—or listen to audiobooks and podcasts or someone else reading aloud to you.
- You could read to a dog and it would count, but, sorry, it doesn’t count if a dog reads to you.
- Your book does not have to be in English. It doesn’t have to come from the library. All reading is good reading.
- Borrow a Book Bundle! Each librarian-curated kit is based on a popular kid theme and comes in a pre-packaged clear bag.
- Browse reading lists by age and grade and more title suggestions vetted by Oak Park’s children’s librarians.
What can kids do?
Miss Shelley and Miss Jenny have some ideas for fun summer reading activities! Watch these videos filmed in 2021:
What is Beanstack?
Beanstack is an easy-to-use online platform where you can track your reading and activities. Download the Beanstack Tracker app—available for iOS and Android—to your mobile device for convenient registration and logging.
How do I register my child?
Click on “Register & log in to Beanstack now” above to access Beanstack, an easy-to-use online tracking system. Adults can register themselves and multiple children under one username and password.
Need help with Beanstack? Watch the virtual tutorial on this page; just click play!
How do kids earn virtual badges and prizes?
There are over 120 activities in six different categories. Kids ages 2 and up earn a bead or sticker for every hour they read and get even more when they finish at least five activities in a category.
You can pick up beads at any library location.
Why should my child participate?
Research has shown that kids who read over the summer keep their skills sharp and are better prepared for school in the fall, while recent research adds that kids who choose their own summer reading books lose even fewer skills over the summer. That makes summer the perfect time to help kids develop their own preferences and explore new and familiar genres at their own pace. When kids love what they read, they’ll love reading—now and in the future.