Our library values all people. We are committed to serving everyone while creating safe and inclusive spaces. The Transgender Resource Collection is curated to support transgender people and anyone seeking more information.
About the collection
In the broadest sense, the collection is specifically focused on the transgender community, reflecting experiences and raising awareness about gender identity and expression. It focuses more on contemporary titles geared toward a general interest level. It also includes all ages, all formats, and both fiction and nonfiction titles. This means that titles can be found in all areas of the library, but are easily accessible. Read our Collection Strategy Statement and email our Collection Management Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions »
Looking for kid-specific learning & resources?
Hal is a children’s librarian who specializes in serving LGBTQ+ young people and their allies.
Subscription-based resources available with your Oak Park library card and PIN:
Articles & books
- Novelist Plus: Find book reviews, annotations, readalikes, discussion guides, and book lists for fiction and nonfiction readers. Search by author gender identity using these instructions »
- Transgender Resource Starter Topics: Read a collection of full-text articles.
- Gale in Context: Biography: Explore authoritative biographical entries covering international figures from all time periods and areas of study, including a collection of biographies on notable LGBTQIA+ figures. To start your search, choose Browse People and then select LGBTQIA+ Figures from the dropdown.
Magazines & newspapers
Browse these digital magazines and newspapers with your Oak Park library card and PIN:
- The Advocate magazine: LGBT news, politics, culture, and entertainment.
- Gay Times magazine: Queer-first storytelling with interviews and features with people from the world of music, fashion, film, TV, the arts, and community-led campaigns.
- The New York Times (Subject: Transgender Issues): Create an account and log in to view the latest articles listed under the subject: transgender issues.
- Out magazine: Interviews, fashion, travel, celebrities, and more for gay life today.
Awards, recognitions & publications
Originally funded (2005) by a grant awarded by the Illinois State Library using funds provided by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, under the federal Library Services and Technology Act, the Transgender Resource Collection continues to be an integral collection to the library.
- Award from Oak Park Area Lesbian and Gay Association (OPALGA)
- Designation as an Exemplary Project by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)
- Windy City Times
- Lambda Literary
- “When Collection Development Leads to Staff Development,” in Serving LGBTIQ Library and Archives Users edited by Ellen Greenblatt
- “Crossing Barriers,” in Winning Grants by Pamela H. MacKellar and Stephanie K. Gerding