Founded as a public library in 1903, the Oak Park Public Library today provides public access to information, resources, services, and spaces through three buildings and oppl.org.
In the late 19th century, James W. Scoville helped establish a Pastor’s Library room at First Congregational Church (now First United Church). The private subscription library moved into the newly constructed Scoville Institute at 834 Lake Street in 1888. In 1903, the library became public. More Main Library history »
In 1915, the Oak Park Public Library opened the South Branch Library in a rented building on Harrison Street. In 1936, the South Branch moved to a new facility at its present location at the corner of Gunderson Avenue and Harrison Street. More Maze Branch history »
Originally housed at Fair Oaks Pharmacy at Ridgeland and Chicago avenues, the North Branch Library moved to its current location after the building at Augusta and Cuyler streets was given to the Village of Oak Park for cultural and recreational purposes. More Dole Branch history »