For babies through grade 5. To hear what’s coming up next, subscribe to our “Kids & Families” email.
What’s new at the library for kids
Our children’s librarians are always creating new content: lists, videos, tutorials, activities, and interactive programs. In your inbox: Sign up to get the latest news, events, title suggestions, and more for kids and families »
Videos, stories & activities, available anytime
- For all ages: Dial-a-Story »
- For early learners: On-demand videos with your favorite librarians »
- For grade schoolers: Librarian-curated resources and activities, by topic »
Learning through play
Toys, dolls, and themed kits—some containing books and open-ended questions, and materials to help young children share ideas and feelings with grown-ups and peers and others full of hands-on, play-and-learn activities—are available for checkout. Browse beyond books »
Inside the Main Library Children's Services area
- Visiting for the first time? Check out our social narrative virtual tutorial and/or download a print version (pdf).
- Create, explore, and play inside the Acorn Lab, a mini makerspace for ages 4+ with adult supervision. Stop in Monday-Friday, 3-6 pm, and for occasional pop-up programs!
- Study inside one of two study rooms in the Children's Services area, especially for grades K-5. Call 708.383.8200 (select option 3) or visit the service desk to reserve (up to two hours at a time and one week in advance, once per week).
- And so much more: Enjoy the playspaces, check out toys at the service desk, complete a scavenger hunt (new each month!), and more.