By Children’s Librarian Eileen Saam
Whether playing video games, chatting with friends, watching videos, or browsing a favorite website, it’s important to keep online safety in mind. Although most of us are aware of important online safety tips, we all need helpful reminders, and kids need continual guidance to stay safe on the internet.
Previously, I shared five internet safety tips for kids and caregivers as well as helpful videos, safety guides, and online resources to help families navigate online safety discussions.
Now, let’s explore more resources that help kids and caregivers learn and practice online safety skills and learning more about being a good digital citizen in a fun, interactive way.
Explore Common Sense Media’s 23 Great Lesson Plans for Online Safety
23 Great Lesson Plans for Online Safety from Common Sense Media features internet safety lesson plans—including lessons on digital citizenship. You can access slides, videos, worksheets, and games, as well as tons of talking points for kids and parents/ caregivers. I hope you find resources that are useful in guiding your discussions at home!
A sample of the online safety courses on Common Sense Media
- Online safety (for grade 1): Pause & Think: How can we be safe, responsible, and respectful online?
- Digital friendships (for grade 5): Digital Friendships: How do you keep online friendships safe?
- Online privacy (for grade 8): Being Aware of What You Share: How can you protect your privacy when you’re online?
Plus, check out these titles
- Online Safety for Coders
- A Smart Girl’s Guide: Digital World: How to Connect, Share, Play & Keep Yourself Safe
- Staying Safe Online (available as an ebook on Hoopla): Practice SMART (safety, manners, adult supervision, responsibility, and teamwork) online behavior.
Eileen Saam is a children’s digital learning librarian who loves discovering new things, learning from others, and sharing with children the joy and wonder of books. One of her favorite things to do at the library is to help children, families, and teachers find books and digital resources that delight and inspire them.