By Hal, Rainbow Services Librarian
If you’re looking for a relaxing craft that’s easy to learn, try cross-stitching! Once you know the basics, following a pattern is a lot like doing a paint-by-number. Even a beginner can create beautiful designs.
Join us for an interactive crafting workshop, check out our virtual tutorial
On April 28, join us for an interactive crafting workshop for students in grades 4-8. Together we will learn the basics of how to cross-stitch using a pattern of the phases of the moon.
You can participate in person at the Main Library for guided instruction or follow our on-demand virtual tutorial at your own pace.
The cross-stitching virtual tutorial also is available on-demand, so you can explore it whenever you like! Just click the play button on this page to get started!
More resources to explore
Check out these books
- Cross-Stitch: 7 Quick & Easy Cross Stitch Projects by various authors
- Cross Stitch for the Earth by Emma Congdon
- Cross-Stitch for the First Time by Donna Kooler
- Cross-Stitch to Calm: Stitch and De-Stress With 40 Simple Patterns by Leah Lintz
- I Can Cross-Stitch by Elizabeth Spurlock
- I Love Cross-Stitch Alphabet Collection by various authors
- A Geek’s Guide to Cross-Stitch: Journeys in Space by Clarissa Thorne
- Whimsical Cross-Stitch: More Than 130 Designs From Trendy to Traditional by Cari Buziak
- Wizards & Sprites by various authors
Explore these online resources
Log in with your Oak Park library card and PIN:
- CreativeBug: Watch a step-by-step video for creating this cross-stitch wall art and more!
- Hobbies & Crafts Source: Search “cross-stitch” to find projects and guides for cross-stitching.
Discover more inspiration & resources on the web
- Caterpillar Cross-Stitch: A cross-stitching YouTube channel
- Notorious Needle: A cross-stitching tutorial
- Stitch Fiddle: Free pattern designing
Hal is a children’s librarian who specializes in serving LGBTQ+ young people and their allies. He is passionate about identity exploration through collaborative storytelling and imaginative play.