In response to the U.S. Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade, the 1973 landmark ruling that established the right to an abortion, our librarians have compiled the resources listed below.
Looking for something not listed here?
Roe v. Wade Conversations
Roe v. Wade Conversations (catalog list compiled in May 2022)
- Abortion: A Personal Story, a Political Choice
- Abortion and the Politics of Motherhood
- Abortion in the United States: A Reference Handbook
- Abortion: Opposing Viewpoints
- Absolute Convictions: My Father, a City, and the Conflict That Divided America
- Abuse of Discretion: The Inside Story of Roe v. Wade
- All the Blood Involved in Love
- Bodies on the Line: At the Frontlines of the Fight to Protect Abortion in America
- Bodies Under Siege: How the Far-Right Attack on Reproductive Rights Went Global
- Choices: A Post-Roe Abortion Rights Manifesto
- A Complicated Choice: Making Space for Grief and Healing in the Pro-Choice Movement
- Controlling Women: What We Must Do Now to Save Reproductive Freedom
- Ejaculate Responsibly: A Whole New Way To Think About Abortion
- Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics
- The Girls Who Went Away: The Hidden History of Women Who Surrendered Children for Adoption in the Decades Before Roe v. Wade
- The Justices Behind Roe v. Wade: The Inside Story, Adapted From The Brethren
- Life’s Work: A Moral Argument for Choice
- Madame Restell: The Life, Death, and Resurrection of Old New York’s Most Fabulous, Fearless, and Infamous Abortionist
- My Body My Choice: The Fight for Abortion Rights
- New Handbook for a Post-Roe America: The Complete Guide to Abortion Legality, Access, and Practical Support
- No Choice: The Destruction of Roe v. Wade and the Fight To Protect a Fundamental American Right
- Not Funny Ha-Ha: A Handbook for Something Hard
- Pregnancy and Abortion: Practical Guide to Making Decisions
- Pro-Life, Pro-Choice: Shared Values in the Abortion Debate
- The Pro-Choice Movement: Organization and Activism in the Abortion Conflict
- So We Can Know: Writers of Color on Pregnancy, Loss, Abortion, and Birth
- The Story of Abortion in America: A Street-Level History, 1652-2022
- The Story of Jane: The Legendary Underground Feminist Abortion Service
- The Street Politics of Abortion: Speech, Violence, and America’s Culture Wars
- When Abortion Was Crime: Women, Medicine, and Law in the United States, 1867-1973
- A Woman’s Life Is a Human Life: My Mother, Our Neighbor, and the Journey From Reproductive Rights to Reproductive Justice
- You or Someone You Love: Reflections From an Abortion Doula
- You’re the Only One I’ve Told: The Stories Behind Abortion
- All You Have To Do Is Call
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- A Lie Someone Told You About Yourself
- Looking for Jane
- Mercy Street
- A Spark of Light
- A Girl’s Guide to Joining the Resistance: A Feminist Handbook on Fighting for Good
- Comics for Choice: Illustrated Abortion Stories, History, and Politics
- Critical Perspectives on Abortion
- Jane Against the World: Roe v. Wade and the Fight for Reproductive Rights
- My Body My Choice: The Fight for Abortion Rights
- My Mom Had an Abortion: A Shout Your Abortion Project
- Sex Plus: Learning, Loving, and Enjoying Your Body
Community organizing books
- After Alinsky: Community Organizing in Illinois
- Collective Action for Social Change: An Introduction to Community Organizing
- Reveille for Radicals
- The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off: Thoughts on Life, Love, and Rebellion
Special Collections/Oak Park author connection
Though the word is not spoken, abortion is the theme of Ernest Hemingway’s short story “Hills Like White Elephants,” which originally appeared in the Paris literary magazine transition in August 1927 and was later collected in Men Without Women and The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway.
Chicago-area public health, legal resources
With more than 700 health centers, AbortionFinder.org features the most comprehensive directory of trusted (and verified) abortion service providers in the United States.
The ACLU works to ensure that every person can make the best decision for themselves and their family about whether and when to have a child without undue political interference.
The fund’s mission is to advance reproductive autonomy and justice for everyone by providing financial, logistical, and emotional support to people seeking abortion services and by building collective power and fostering partnerships for political and cultural change.
More about protecting yourself online. Information is organized into different security-related threats. You can jump to the ones that most concern you. Along with each scenario is a list of digital security tips to neutralize the threat.
Midwest Access Coalition (MAC) envisions a world in which all people have access to safe, free, legal abortions wherever they live. As a practical abortion fund, MAC helps people traveling to, from, and within the Midwest access a safe abortion by assisting with travel coordination and costs, lodging, food, medicine, childcare, and emotional support.
Planned Parenthood is one of the nation’s leading providers of high-quality, affordable health care, and the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With or without insurance, you can always come to us for your health care.
Whether explicitly or implicitly, anti-abortion fake clinics oppose abortion, shame abortion care, or promote alternatives to abortion. The Anti-Abortion Fake Clinic Database is a collection of discoverable crisis pregnancy centers in the United States, independently researched and updated by ReproAction.