By Digital Learning Librarian Amy Hofmockel
Looking for one-on-one help with a specific digital learning or technical topic? Sign up for an in-person Learning Lab appointment—available at all three library locations—and get a focused 30-minute session with a Learning Lab instructor.
You can request an appointment by filling out our Learning Lab Appointment Request form, but before you do, check out these tips to help you prepare.
Three questions to ask yourself while completing the form
- What do you want to learn? It may seem like you need to learn everything, but during a Learning Lab, you will have the most success if you pick one specific thing you would like to learn how to do—like attaching a picture to an email, how to use Zoom, or downloading and using one of our library’s ebook apps (please note that device repair is not available). You can make one appointment each week, so there is plenty of time to learn everything you want to know.
- Where do you want to meet? You can choose to meet at the Main Library or at one of the branches. Please be aware that branch appointments are limited to Mondays for Maze Branch Library and Fridays for Dole Branch Library.
- When do you want to meet? You can give us a general idea of when you would like to meet for your Learning Lab, and we will offer you some time options when we contact you to set up your appointment.
How to get ready for your appointment
Before you come to your Learning Lab, please make sure you:
- Bring your laptop, phone, or other device that you would like to learn about. Because many devices can be a little different, it’s important that you bring the specific device you want to use to complete the task you have a question about.
- Know all the logins and passwords you might need for your appointment. The library does not know your passwords, and we will never ask you for your passwords.
- Wear a mask. Due to the close and extended proximity you will be in with one of our library’s staff, we request that you wear a mask during your Learning Lab appointment. We also will wear masks for everyone’s safety.
What to expect during your appointment
- You will have 30 minutes with a Learning Lab instructor to go over your chosen topic.
- Please have your device powered on and ready at the start of your session.
- The instructor will check in with you about what you already know and what you would like to learn, and then help you with your topic.
- Learning Lab instructors will encourage you to take the lead in operating your device, and will always ask before touching your property.
A few final things to note
Before scheduling your appointment, please note that during Learning Labs: Device repair is not available, and library staff cannot make purchasing recommendations.
Depending on your starting skill level, and the topic you are hoping to learn, you may or may not cover everything you hope to learn in a single session. You can make another appointment for the next week, and while you may not get the same instructor helping you, they will be sure to let the next Learning Lab instructor know what you were learning about.
Sometimes there will be a question that our Learning Lab instructors don’t know how to answer or that is too complex to cover during a 30-minute appointment. Depending on the complexity and content of the question, we may ask you to make another appointment so we can break down the topic into smaller tasks, or we may direct you to a resource that can better serve you.
If you need to cancel an appointment, you can talk to your instructor about rescheduling for the following week. If you have three cancellations in a row, we will ask you to postpone your next appointment request for a few weeks until your schedule has cleared and you are sure you will be able to make your appointment.
Now that you are ready, head over to our Learning Labs page and fill out the form.
Have a tech question?
Amy is a digital learning librarian who always looks for ways to create those “ah-ha!” moments for digital learners. She enjoys writing, gadgets, and baking.