Your public library is here to connect you with books, virtual programs, online resources, and learning experiences that celebrate the LGBTQ+ community all year long. On this page, you can:
- Browse suggested movies and books for adults, teens, and kids, all hand-selected by our librarians.
- Log in with your Oak Park card and PIN to use online resources for self-paced learning from anywhere.
- Sign up for virtual programs for kids and watch a Pride flag coloring video just for early learners.
Now in the Main Library Idea Box
On display in the Main Library Idea Box windows, you’ll learn about how the Pride flag’s design has changed over time and the many flags that represent different identities.
Virtual programs & activities
Coloring a Pride flag for early learners
Grab your crayons, markers, or colored pencils, because it’s time to create our own Pride flags! Did you know that the flag hasn’t always looked the same? We’ll draw an inclusive Philadelphia Pride flag today and talk about what each color means. Where will you display yours?
Pride Stitching for kids in grades 3-9
Monday, June 14, 3-4 pm. June is PRIDE month! Show your love and support of LGBTQIA+ and join us in virtual Pride Stitching. This event will be led by librarians Mr. Hal and Ms. Beronica. We can’t wait to celebrate with you! Need a cross stitch kit? Kits will be available for pick up by June 1. Register in Zoom now »
Queerios meet-up with Cartoonist Sage Coffey for students in grades 6-12
Saturday, July 10, 3-5 pm. Join Chicago cartoonist Sage Coffey as they teach attendees about zines. Zine (pronounced “ZEEN”) is short for magazine. Zines can contain anything including comics, photo collage, or even poetry! Attendees will learn how to fold and cut a single piece of paper to make a six-page zine about the subject of their choice. The possibilities are endless, and Sage is excited to teach this easy way to make your very own zines at home. Register in Zoom now »
Titles we suggest
More from Your Digital Library
Ebooks, digital audiobooks & graphic novels
Online resources to explore
Get access to subscription-based resources that Google can’t offer, with your Oak Park card and PIN:
- Gale in Context: Biography: Explore authoritative biographical entries covering international figures from all time periods and areas of study, including a collection of biographies on notable LGBTQIA+ figures. To start your search, choose Browse People and then select LGBTQIA+ Figures from the dropdown.
- Novelist Plus: Find book reviews, annotations, read-alikes, discussion guides, and book lists for fiction and nonfiction readers. Use the advanced search option to find titles by LGBTQ+ authors by selecting LGBTQIA under Authors Cultural Identity.
- Transgender Resource Collection: A unique collection to serve transgender people and everyone seeking information, including employers, medical providers, allies, friends, and family.