Using your card | Accessing your account | Updating your notifications | Using the catalog | Ask us anything
Using your card
What can I do with my card?
- An Oak Park Public Library card lets you place holds and check out materials from library locations and so much more. Review your full cardholder benefits »
How long can I keep library items?
- Find more specific details for loan periods, limits, renewals, returns, and fees »
Does the library tell me when to pick up my holds? Return my items?
You say you are fine-free. What does that mean?
- Overdue fines are not charged on items checked out from the Oak Park Public Library »
- Learn more about our loan periods, limits, renewals, returns, and fees »
Can I use another/a non-Oak Park card in Oak Park?
- Use your valid Chicago Public Library card or another Illinois library card here. Registration may be required on your first visit.
Does my Oak Park card expire?
- Most Oak Park library cards never expire. Cards for educators and businesses expire after one year but may be renewed.
- Library cards with printed expiration dates (issued before March 20, 2012) can be renewed at the library with your photo ID and proof of Oak Park address. Find library locations and hours »
What happens if my card is lost or stolen?
- Please report a lost or stolen card so we can mark it as lost, which protects you if it is misused. Show your ID at any library location to have a replacement card made. Contact us now »
What if I move out of Oak Park?
- Please let us know so we can update your library account. Contact us now »
Accessing your account
Can I get my Oak Park account number?
Can I get a new Oak Park four-digit PIN?
How do I log into my library account?
- Log in from anywhere, anytime to renew items, place holds, download and stream digital items, and more.
- To access your account online:
- Click “Log In” near the top right of any page at oppl.org.
- To log in, enter your library card number (the 14-digit number under the card’s bar code) and your PIN (usually the last four digits of the phone number on your account).
Does the library have an app?
- Yes, two apps! Get 24/7 mobile access to the library’s catalog and your account with the SWAN Libraries App, and borrow items from anywhere in the library with the Meescan app on your mobile device. Download the apps »
Is there a way to save my library card digitally?
- Yes! You can view your card and add family members’ cards with the SWAN Libraries App and in the catalog.
- In the SWAN Libraries App:
- In the catalog:
- To view your library card and a scannable barcode: Log into your account and then click on “My Library Card” in the left sidebar.
- Link family members’ accounts »
Can I change the way I am notified?
- Yes! You can choose to receive notifications by text, email, and/or phone.
- Set up and edit text notifications through your account online: Log into your account and then click on “Text Message Settings” in the left sidebar.
- Need to change your contact email? Log into your account and then click on “Contact Information” in the left sidebar.
- To add phone notifications or for any other questions, contact us »
Using the catalog
Why does the catalog look different than what I’m used to?
- Along with all SWAN member libraries, Oak Park Public Libray has transitioned to a new catalog officially as of May 1, 2022. Want to learn more about the new catalog? Get all the details »
- See something that doesn’t seem right? Have questions about your account? Please let us know »
How do I use the catalog?
Have a question not answered here? Contact us now »