Digitize and preserve different types of media—such as VHS tapes, cassette tapes, film negatives, and more—at the Creative Studio’s new Media Preservation Station. Located on the third floor of the Main Library, the station provides a VCR, a cassette player, and a high-quality scanner. The scanner is capable of scanning documents, photos, 35mm negatives, 120/medium format negatives, and slides.
Making your reservation
- Call 708.383.8200 (press 1) or ask in person at any library service desk. More about reservations:
- Scheduling in advance is recommended. Reservations can be made up to four weeks in advance.
- Day-of reservations can be made if the station is not already reserved.
- One reservation is three consecutive hours. Extensions are not available.
- This station is a do-it yourself environment. One-on-one, 30-minutes Learning Labs are available but in-depth, day-of assistance is not available.
- BEFORE: Bring your own external hard drive to save and take edited files with you at the end of your session.
- We recommend holding negatives carefully on the edges and using cotton or non-latex gloves when possible.
- Media files are big! Plan to use 30 minutes at the end of your session to save files to your external hard drive.
- AFTER: For everyone’s privacy, all files are removed from library computers at the end of each session.