Digitize and preserve different types of media—such as VHS tapes, cassette tapes, film negatives, and more—at the Creative Studio’s new Media Preservation Station. Located on the third floor of the Main Library, the station provides a VCR, a cassette player, and a high-quality scanner. The scanner is capable of scanning documents, photos, 35mm negatives, 120/medium format negatives, and slides.
Reserve the station by phone or at any library service desk
Making a reservation
Call the library at 708.383.8200 or ask at any library service desk for a Media Preservation Station reservation.
To change or cancel a reservation
Please tell us as soon as possible. Contact us »
Creative Studio Policy
Please review the library’s Creative Studio Policy. Highlights include:
- Age: Reservers must be 14 years or older. A valid ID or active library card is required for each visit to the station.
- File storage: Bring your own USB flash drives or external hard drives to save your work. Each time the Creative Studio computers are shut down or restarted, all personal data, including project files, are permanently erased and cannot be recovered.
- Restrictions: Creative Studio equipment may not be used to create materials that are prohibited by local, state, or federal law; unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or that pose an immediate threat to the well-being of others; inappropriate for the library environment; and subject to copyright, patent, or trademark protection.
- Food and drink: No food is allowed in the suites. Non-alcoholic beverages in covered containers are permitted. Alcohol is prohibited.
- No smoking: Smoking or vaping are not allowed in the space.
- Liability: The library and its staff are not liable for any loss, damage, or expenses sustained by users due to the utilization of services, equipment, software, advice, or information.
- Damage: You are responsible for any damage to the equipment or space. Please let staff know immediately if any equipment is missing, damaged, or not working properly.
More about reserving the station
Reservations are limited to once a day, three hours at a time. Extensions are not available. Reservations can be made up to four weeks in advance. Scheduling in advance is recommended—as there is only one computer at the station—but day-of reservations can be made when available. Reservations may be released if you arrive 15 minutes after your scheduled time.
Please bring your own external hard drive to save your work. Video and audio files are large and can take time to back up; please save at least 30 minutes of your time for saving your work before leaving. For your privacy, all user files are permanently erased from Creative Studio computers when they are restarted. The computer is equipped with a power backup battery; in the case of a power outage, please transfer your files to your backup drive immediately.
We recommend holding negatives carefully on the edges and using cotton or non-latex gloves when possible.
The station is a do-it-yourself environment
Learning Labs are available to learn how to use the equipment at the station. In-depth, day-of assistance is not available.
Questions? Contact us »