The Main Library is open for self-service Mondays through Saturdays, 10 am-6 pm (parking garage closes at 6:15 pm). All floors are open for safe materials browsing; masks are required and hand sanitizer is provided throughout the building. We’re also pleased to introduce new features and improvements to enhance your in-person library experience. More »
Maze Branch Library is open with limited hours and services. More »
Dole Branch Library is expected to open in the library’s Service Level 3. More »
Now: What to know before your visit to Main and to Maze
- Main Library building capacity is 120. Maze Branch building capacity is 40.
- At both buildings, real-time capacity displays during open hours on the library website and a screen near main entrances.
- Visitors must wear masks correctly (covering nose and mouth) to enter and to remain in the building and visits should be under one hour. More about keeping each other safe »
- Seating, study rooms, and meeting rooms are unavailable.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All holds require self-checkout. Download meeScan »
- Public computers are available by appointment only for Oak Park cardholders.
- Also available now: a wide range of virtual services, available from anywhere »
Next: Expanded hours, services coming Tuesday, June 1
As the State of Illinois enters its Bridge Phase between Phases 4 and 5, we are preparing to add more hours and services beginning Tuesday, June 1. These include:
- Adding Sunday hours of 2-6 pm at both the Main Library and Maze Branch Library.
- Increasing capacity of Main Library to 250 and of Maze Branch to 80.
- Resuming in-person staff assistance in the lobby and at service desks.
- Reintroducing some tables and chairs (placed at a physical distance of at least six feet).
- Offering public WiFi.
- Extending access (to everyone) and time (to one hour) on public computers.
- Hosting outdoor events (requiring masks and physical distancing for everyone at all Kids & Families in-person events)
The following points will not change on June 1. We are hopeful we can revisit these as local conditions continue to improve.
- Because we will not know nor ask who is vaccinated, the requirement for staff and patrons to wear masks correctly (covering nose and mouth) to enter and to remain inside the library will remain.
- Children under 14 still must be accompanied by an adult.
- Physical distancing of 6 feet will continue.
- Dole Branch Library will remain closed.
- Study and meeting rooms will remain unavailable.
- Indoor programs will not be available.
- Children’s Services onsite devices, furniture, and toys will not be available.
People and safety continue to drive our decisions. And as needs continue to change, we will continue to change. Our COVID-19 Response Plan continues to evolve. Get a summary here and read the full plan here »
New! Better browsing on Main Library second and third floors
“We are always evaluating how the community is using materials,” said Materials Services Manager Barbara Fitzgerald. “When sections of the library were closed to browsing because of the pandemic earlier this year, we took a very close look at how to make specific improvements.”
As a result, during February about 58,000 items were reorganized on the second and third floors, which is about 1,000 shelves or 25% of the total physical collection. The results maximize use of current shelf and floor space and are intended to offer everyone a better in-person browsing experience.
New! Main Library new floor maps, list of materials by floor
|AS OF MONDAY, MARCH 1|
|New materials on the Main Library third floor|
Large type (where Recently Returned Nonfiction used to be)
Print magazines (check out the expanded digital collection; print newspapers remain unavailable)
|Changes on the Main Library second floor|
DVDs moved to stacks in the middle of the second floor
Audiobooks moved to stacks at the north end of the second floor (near the book discussion room)
Space created for teens
New! Use your phone to self-checkout from anywhere in Main and Maze
Related, a pilot meeScan desktop self-check station has been installed directly behind the second-floor service desk. It works very similarly to the app. You enter your library card number, scan the item’s library barcode, hear a “beep!” and checkout is completed. You automatically receive an email receipt (if you have this notification turned on in your SWAN account). Learn more about changing SWAN notifications »
New! Main Library locker pickup by request
To provide a new convenient pickup and return option with no in-person contact we have invested in two sets of lockers at the Main Library. The outdoor set of 35 will be located to the right of the main entrance. The indoor set of 17 is located in the lobby under the stairwell. If you are interested in using a locker for your materials, please contact us.