By Children’s Librarian Eileen Saam
This summer at Oak Park Library we have so much to explore, including music! I invite you to explore music in different ways and see what it brings to your life.
Music may help you relax and unwind. It may bring you joy and excitement or allow you to feel more deeply and fully. Music may help you learn and understand more about the world outside your door and invite you to explore what is within your heart, mind, and imagination.
What will music do for you this summer?
Access free music on Hoopla with your library card
Hoopla Kids mode offers kids access to tons of different artists, albums, musical styles, and interests including soundtracks from movies and musicals like—Encanto! Take Hoopla with you on your summer road trip and explore what music interests you!
Complete musical activities for summer reading badges
Explore activities you can do at home
With some of your favorite librarians
- Discover Bomba: Learn about different types of music with Mr. Jose.
- Explore our (recently updated!) Fun With Music Tutorial: Explore different rhythms and beats with Ms. Eileen.
- Watch Early Bird Learning videos: Have fun with musical favorites from your librarian friends!
More virtual fun
- Try an “ocean dance”: Choreograph your own ocean dance.
- Hand clapping games: Put your rhythm and coordination to the test.
- World Radio Map: Explore music from radio stations around the world!
Check out a Music Discovery Kit
Register for programs at the library that incorporate music in a variety of ways
- All summer long: Storytimes always incorporate music, rhymes, movements, stories, and fun!
- Saturday, July 2: Join Ovation Academy and learn and perform the choreography to a Moana song, inspired by the summer reading theme: Oceans of Possibilities!
- Wednesdays, July 6-August 3: Kids in grades 6-12 are invited to explore music concepts of choice including music history and music appreciation during Music to Me Performing Arts Camp.
- Friday, July 8: Make musical instruments from recyclable materials and play them at an ocean-inspired program for kids ages 4-8!
- Thursday, July 14: Sing your heart out at The Little Mermaid movie screening and sing-along at the library!
Eileen Saam is a children’s digital learning librarian who loves discovering new things, learning from others, and sharing with children the joy and wonder of books. One of her favorite things to do at the library is to help children, families, and teachers find books and digital resources that delight and inspire them.