By Amy Hofmockel, Creative Technology Librarian
If you don’t have an internet connection at home you can borrow a mobile hotspot from the library! It will get you connected to the internet without incurring data charges.
Need help getting your mobile hotspot set up? Follow the steps below and contact us with questions. And check out the other posts in this three-part Tech Tips series:
- Mobile Hotspot Series #1: What is a mobile hotspot? Find the answer to this question and more »
- Mobile Hotspot Series #3: Having trouble using the mobile hotspot? Find solutions to some common issues »
- And learn more about borrowing mobile hotspots »
How to set up the mobile Wi-Fi hotspot
- Turn on the mobile hotspot. Hold down the power/menu button for 3 seconds. The LED indicator will light up, and the display screen will turn on and display “Welcome.”
- Wait a few moments. Give the hotspot time to connect to a cellular network; you don’t need to do anything at this time. The hotspot will display icons when it is ready for you to start connecting your laptop or other device.
- Find the hotspot network using your laptop or device. Using your laptop or other device, navigate to the Network & Internet settings to find the hotspot network. The network name will begin with “OPPL,” then have five numbers after it (example: OPPL12345). Select the network so that it is highlighted.
- Connect your laptop or other device to the hotspot. Click the “Connect,” “Confirm,” or “Open” button. Different laptops and devices will use different words, but they should all have a button that is used to confirm your selection.
- Enter the provided password. You will be prompted to enter a password to connect to the network. The password is OPPL834! and also is written on the label on the back of the hotspot.
- If you have more than one laptop or device to connect to the internet, repeat steps 3 through 5 for each device. You can have a maximum of 10 devices on one hotspot network at a time.
- Use the internet! Once you have entered the password, your laptop or device may take a few moments to connect completely. You may be asked if you would like your computer to be discoverable by other computers; select “No” and then your computer will finish connecting to the internet.
- Turn off the mobile hotspot. Once you’re done using the mobile hotspot, turn it off by holding down the power/menu button for a few seconds until “Goodbye” displays on the screen. If the hotspot’s battery runs out, you can use the cable that is included in the kit to charge it.
More in the Mobile Hotspot Series
Have a tech question?
Amy is a creative technology librarian who always looks for ways to create those “ah-ha!” moments for digital learners. She enjoys writing, gadgets, and baking.