Your public library is here to connect you with books, videos, online resources, and learning experiences that celebrate Hispanic heritage all year long. On this page, you can:
- Watch Multicultural and Spanish language virtual learning videos.
- Browse suggested books for adults, teens, and kids, all hand-selected by our librarians.
- Log in with your Oak Park card and PIN to use online resources for self-paced learning from anywhere.
- Join us for a casual hour of open conversation with other Spanish speakers on the first Saturday of each month. Register now »
This commemorative month (held September 15-October 15) was officially designated as Hispanic Heritage Month by the U.S. Congress in 1968. Learn more at hispanicheritagemonth.gov »
Virtual learning videos
Explore items & cultures with Miss Juanta & friends
Peruvian Independence Day Display
From inside the Main Library Idea Box, Eliana Gamarra, archaeologist and community member, shares in Spanish the story of “Fiestas Patria.” Celebrated on July 28, this national holiday marks the liberation of Peru from Spain.
Aztec Calendar: Mexico
Miss Juanta has a beautiful Aztec calendar to show you, and her friend Melissa Fuentes will share its importance in the Mexican culture. What kind of calendar does your family use?
Do you know what a calavera is? Miss Juanta has several to show you from the Multicultural Collection, and Miss Nora visits to explain what they are and how they are used in her Mexican culture.
Watch these virtual learning videos in Spanish
- Los Pollitos Dicen (bilingual English/Spanish)
- LEGO Amigos
- Red Is Rojo
- Jugando y Contando
- Kathy y Munchy Cantan “Pin Pon”
Titles we suggest
- Check out coming soon and recently published titles for adults: both fiction titles and nonfiction books
- Browse more title suggestions for kids »
More from your digital library
Ebooks & digital audiobooks
- Most popular ebooks and digital audiobooks in Spanish for adults on Media on Demand/Libby »
- Ebooks and digital audiobooks in Spanish for kids and teens on Media on Demand/Libby »
- Comic books on Hoopla »
- Newspapers, news wires, websites, and blogs from leading publishers in Latin America on Global Newsstream »
- Newspapers in Spanish on PressReader »
Online resources to explore
Get access to subscription-based resources that Google can’t offer, with your Oak Park card and PIN:
- MUZZY: Learn Spanish with fun and animated stories featuring Muzzy and friends.
- PebbleGo (preschool-grades 3) and PebbleGo Next (grades 3-5): Check out the Social Studies module to explore.
- World Book Student (elementary & middle schoolers): Explore a collection of articles, tables, and multimedia of the world, and find maps showing political, population, economic, and meteorological information in the World Resources section.
For adults & teens
- Gale in Context: Biography: Explore authoritative biographical entries covering international figures from all time periods and areas of study, including a collection of biographies on notable Hispanic Americans. To start your search, choose Browse People and from the Topics dropdown, select Hispanic Americans.
- Mango Languages: Reach conversational proficiency in Spanish.
- Novelist Plus: Find book reviews, annotations, read-alikes, discussion guides, and book lists for fiction and nonfiction readers. Use the Advanced Search option to find titles by Hispanic American authors by selecting Hispanic American under Authors Cultural Identity.