To help continue to contain the spread of COVID-19, we are now in Service Level 2. See what you can do during Service Level 2 »
Main Library now open with safety precautions & limits
Visits to the Main Library will look a lot different than they did during pre-COVID-19 times. Face coverings are required, gathering spaces are unavailable, and visits are limited to 1 hour or less. The focus is on self-service, and library staff will not be available at service desks.
New! Special visiting hour for high-risk patrons only: 10-11 am Mondays-Saturdays
- The CDC defines high-risk individuals as older adults and people with underlying medical conditions.
- We encourage everyone who is not at increased risk to plan their in-person library visits between 11 am and 6 pm Mondays-Saturdays.
Building capacity limits & changes
The Main Library has a total building capacity limit of 120 people, and a floor limit of 40 people. We’ll be doing hourly broadcast reminders to encourage everyone to keep their visit to 1 hour or less.
- Before you head in, check the real-time capacity count on the library’s website (in the top gray bar on every page).
- While you are here, see a real-time capacity count on screens located in the vestibule, the lobby, and near elevators on all floors, and listen for periodic audio announcements.
- Gathering spaces are unavailable; tables and chairs have been removed, and children’s play areas are unavailable.
- We’ve also made physical changes to the building, following recommendations of the American Institute of Architects, including:
- Increasing outside air flow into the building.
- Having fewer touch points overall. For example, propping open external doors to public restrooms and replacing hot air hand dryers with paper towels.
- Requiring one person/household per elevator ride.
- Disengaging public drinking fountains.
- Disengaging parking garage gates (always keeping the gates up) so there is no need for paper tickets to enter and exit.
More safety precautions for staff & visitors
Here are more ways we are working together to keep each other safe and well. Find more specifics in our internal Safer Working Guide for Staff »
Wear face protection; stay home when you are sick.
Wash hands regularly; staff wear gloves when handling items.
Clean and disinfect all high-touch surfaces frequently.
Follow safe physical distancing guidelines.
All returned materials are quarantined before being checked in and recirculated.